02 October 2012

Clinics - blowing off some steam

On the beginning of our third week of classes, things aren't turning up the way I expected. In our second day here, we were  told that we would only be watching the procedures - if I wanted just to watch I'd use YouTube, it´s free and I don´t need to go to  another country to use it. Right after this splash of cold water, we immediately called our home faculty´s department to  inform them about this situation. Because you know, Erasmus students back in Porto actually have to work and do things like  any other student. If I was on third year or in any other course, I might even appreciate the break, but this is my last  year of dentistry and I need to practice, a lot, and that´s why I came.

We were later told, in a private meeting, that each  department chief would 'try' to give us some patients for us to work. After two weeks in Orthodonty, in which of those I didn't do much - it was expected since regular students can´t do much in  that field - I was expecting to do real work in Pedodontics (dentistry for children). The fact of me being sited on the  library's computer making this post on 9:40 in a workday can really tell you how much work I´m really doing. The professors  are really nice, don´t get me wrong, but I´m tired of watching and having to ask to do something most of the time - we don´t  even have a dentist chair to work with, they didn't attributed one to us. And to make things even more lovely, I haven´t found a single student who speaks English in this department, so me and my mate feel like aliens wondering around.
To sum things up - loving the country and the teachers, our schoolmates (the ones we can understand) but not loving the faculty´s work-system at all, and I´m starting to question why I´m here if I can't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment