26 November 2012

Volunteering in Bodrum



 A well packed dentist chair
Almost on the beginning of our Erasmus period we were told by the previous Erasmus that the Pedodontics department in our faculty used to do volunteer work on some weekends, helping disabled children and the ones that couldn’t afford a dental consult. Of course me and my colleague were interested in this and asked if there was the possibility of going on one of these trips. They accepted (for our delight), and it was scheduled for the 23, 24 and 25 of November.

After that, the other two Erasmus girls came to the faculty and also asked for this. Due to not having enough space for everyone, or trip was in danger - we might not go after all, the department had to choose 2 or 3 persons to go. After some weeks of hesitation, we were confirmed, it was really happening. It was a pity for our French friend though, who wasn’t included on this weekend along with me, my colleague and the other Dutch Erasmus due to lack of space. We didn’t know details of the trip until the very last minute – we only knew we were supposed to be on the faculty at 16:30, packed with some clothes for the weekend. I was prepared to sleep on a tent on the middle of nowhere, since our professor specifically told us not to expect too much several times. After a 4 hour drive we arrived to Bodrum, our destination. On the weeks before departing, when we told Turkish people we were going to this city, everyone made a furtive smile and said “Sure, volunteer work”. And I could understand why – this place has a marina, nice streets with shops, gardens along the road with palm trees and everything a rich town should have, including all the things with English translation. It must be amazing here in the summer I tell you!



Bodrum's marina

Our 'modest' hotel
We ate in a restaurant close to the sea, a famous restaurant I was told, with all the professors, assistants, students and helping staff that were in this journey – 20 in total. It was just great to see all the people talking, laughing and socializing together, professors with students, assistants and helping staff, just great really. I wished we had just a bit of this joy and friendship among all in my home faculty. After a nice meal of pasta with some glasses of wine, for free, we went back to the bus to the hotel. When we arrived there I was shocked… in a good way! We thought that this was the hotel for the professors, but it turned out to be a hotel for everyone! Each 2 persons got a room with private WC, cable TV, two beds, wireless and breakfast. I was speechless, the hotel even has a common room with a fireplace and leather sofas and even a pool decorated with many colored lights on the backside. This was when I thought if I was making volunteer work or if the faculty was making humanitarian work for me adding a touch of luxury on my Erasmus time. I slept like a rock, finally having a double size bed after two months.

The swimming pool was too cold, terrible conditions





The rehabilitation center for disabled children

The surgery room
We all woke up and has breakfast at 8 am. I ate like an hippopotamus and off we went to the Rehabilitation Center for the disabled. Once we reached there, we were greeted by the nice managers of the place and started to unpack the necessary material to do the job. Let me tell you, when I saw the conditions of the “field” work, I was speechless again. I won’t be writing here the materials they had available, but the conditions were perfect. Portable bags with engines for the rotation materials, dentist chairs and even spitters were available. All the main kinds of dental treatments could be done there. The point of coming to this place is to make the kids feel more comfortable being treated on a place they know and love – and that was visibly on many of them, they weren't so afraid of the treatments since they were in a place they knew. We treated then during the morning, has lunch there, danced with them Gangnam Style (oh God, I’m really sick of this song now) with all the professors included – I can’t stress out enough how great it is to see the professors dancing with us. 

The treatment room
The kids were happy and we were happy. The treatments continued during the afternoon, and at the evening we were free. We all went to the marina to see the boats close by, and we turned out to find a really nice café shop on the shore. This time I ate like and hippopotamus and an elephant combined, chocolate and ice cream in obscene quantities. For my defense, there were free chocolate bonbons everywhere and I was really happy, hence it was impossible to resist. Next we went to have dinner with the mayor of Bodrum in a fancy restaurant near the sea. I wasn't ready for this since I haven’t brought formal clothes, but even so it was fantastic. I had fish again, and drank lots of red wine. The mayor made a fine-looking speech, so as the directors of the rehabilitation center and also our professor. At least I think they did because I didn't understand I word. By now I was REALLY happy… with all the wine I was having. In the last part of the dinner they started to call each person’s names to be presented with a symbolic gift from the center, and this got me thinking. They brought us here, gave us an excellent room, nice food, the opportunity to work and to know a different and still they gave us a present? Come on, I felt I didn't deserve this at all, and I don’t because this experience was amazing and I should be the one giving presents. After the dinner we all went to a bar near the marina and had a good time, again, all staff included!

Receiving a gift on the dinner with the mayor

The erasmus and our amazing teachers

The Sunday morning began with a breakfast at 9 am, and straight to the center to work until lunch. At about two o’clock we packed everything (talk about stuff to pack) and went home – stopping for ice cream and an afternoon snack (again, for free!).

I can surely say this one of the best Erasmus weekends, if not the best!



No comments:

Post a Comment